Saturday, December 16, 2017

Gingerbread Cookies and Snow


I made the gingerbread dough and turned it over to Ben and Genevieve, who fought over it and cut out cookies.  I helped Phoebe cut out a few cookies, too.  Genevieve was so excited to do these cookies, even though she doesn't like them all that much, because she says they are Christmas at our house.  I guess we have traditions now!



This year, I tweaked the recipe just slightly and they got so good!  Plus, the kids did the cookie decorating, too, and landed on a genius flavor combination.  Genevieve made a simple powdered sugar frosting for the cookies and sprinkled crushed candy canes on top. Pow! The spicy cookies plus the sweet frosting plus the sharp peppermint:  so delicious.



Gingerbread cookies and snow - so festive! The children even had a two-hour delay and sledding out of the snow, so they were thrilled.

Gingerbread Cookies - from Colonial Williamsburg, tweaked a bit by me
Stir together in large bowl:
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Stir in:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup melted shortening
1/2 cup heavy cream (or evaporated milk)
1 cup blackstrap unsulfured molasses
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2-4 drops food-grade lemon essential oil (or 3/4 tsp. lemon extract)

Stir in 1 cup at a time, mixing after each cup:
2 cups whole wheat all-purpose flour
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Dough should be stiff enough to handle and not too sticky - may add up to 1/2 cup of flour if needed.

Roll to 1/4" thickness on floured surface.  Cut into shapes. Place on silpat-lined baking sheets (or greased). Bake 375 for 10 minutes, just until top springs back when touched.

7 comments:

e said...

Gorgeous photos! I wish I had smell-o-vision, because I'll bet your house smelled like Christmas...

Becky said...

Grandma's fruitcake cookies and Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti are our traditional holiday cookies. I made gingersnaps with my after school cooking class for our holiday baking and was reminded how much I love a good gingersnap. There was some dough leftover, so we got some at home too!

Anonymous said...

This post is so sweet and reminds me that we need to bake cookies and fill up our jar. Somehow this year has gotten away from us, after a cross-country move and settling in. This is just the thing we need to make Christmas feel like home this year. Also, I'm loving the vintage-looking candles in your window! What a lovely blog.

BLD in MT said...

Ah, traditions. The things that help "make" these holidays all the more special. That is grand. Also, your snowy street scene is just gorgeous! Oh, my!

(My MIL and I used crushed candy canes to decorate some of our Christmas sugar cookies! It was very nice!)

BLD in MT said...

...and now, in looking one more time before closing my browser, I see the stack of CDs on the counter and wonder: What sort of music does Margo enjoy?

Margo said...

Beth! Very eclectic music: lots of folk, protest music of the 60s, classic rock, classical, sacred choral music. . . some kids' CDs. . .

BLD in MT said...

Nice. I think I'd enjoy "Margo Radio." :) Just one more delightful, welcoming aspect of your kitchen.