Friday, February 3, 2017

Spiced Meatballs

I got this recipe from a Lebanese man at market, who has been in the US for more than 30 years and is not a chef by training.  But his food is delicious and these meatballs are an easy way to make Middle Eastern food at home.



Typically I serve these meatballs with quinoa or couscous, flavored simply with olive oil, parsley and garlic, plus some wilted spinach.



I love Middle Eastern food, but it makes me sad these days in the midst of all the fear and dissension about refugees.  Our church is currently helping to re-settle a Syrian family; Ben was at their place last week ostensibly to play soccer with their boys, but all he could talk about when he came home was Randa's food.  He asked me to get her recipes, bless his heart.

Food is my favorite cultural sharing, so I hope to eat Randa's food, too, and communicate my love in whatever way I can.


Spiced Meatballs from Mr. Saif

In a mixing bowl, combine and let stand together about 10 minutes:
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Separately, combine and let stand together also about 10 minutes:
1/3 cup raisins
boiling water to cover

Drain raisins and add to yogurt mixture.

Add:
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
2 finely chopped scallions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. salt
1/4  tsp. freshly ground black pepper
dash hot sauce, or cayenne, to taste
1 lb. ground lamb or beef

Mix gently and thoroughly.  Form into 1" meatballs and space out on baking sheet (I line mine with a Silpat). Bake at 350F for 15-25 minutes, depending on how big your 1" meatballs really are. Serve hot over rice or cous cous.

6 comments:

e said...

Thank you for a post that brought a little tear to my eye. We must all do what we can...

sillygirl said...

I can hardly wait to make these. Why don't people realize we are all related and need to treat everyone as a brother or sister? Love will win in the end.

Becky said...

My heart breaks daily over the hatred I currently see so much of right now. But then I see good things and realize, we'll get through this.
I agreed to help organize a local "Samaritan Soup Dinner" with all benefits going towards a local group that helps refugees settle in to life here. And when I posted asking for two volunteers, I had more than a dozen within 5 minutes. I asked some local bakery owners for bread donations and they thanked me for asking. And so on, and so on. People are inherently good. We'll get through this. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

patti said...

Please also believe there is kindness and goodness with your fellow Americans that have different views. Just because I agree that we should check out people coming into our country doesn't mean I'm a racist or hate other cultures. I pray that we can disagree but have understanding and respect. I never comment on anything, but I feel maybe women can see each others heart. I might be wrong.

The meatballs look delicious and i just made a bunch for the freezer.

Anonymous said...

Loved this! Through tact and subtlety, your point came through loud and clear. Much of the fear would dissipate if we could all just sit down and break bread together. I love Middle Eastern food and am now craving falafel.

jenny_o said...

We are all people. I love your post. We have a few Syrian families in our area as well. I am so happy that they have been received warmly. We do what we can. Yes.