Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ditching Open-Kettle Canning

So I noticed that sometimes my home-canned jars unsealed in storage.  And I began to notice a pattern - that the ones that I open-kettle canned (everything is hot - skip the water bath) were the ones that did this.  I had always scoffed at water-bathing everything as a safety issue, but suddenly I reframed this method as a waste of time and materials, and now I have changed my mind.  I intend to waterbath pickles and jams from now on to keep them sealed as long as possible. I don't think open-kettle canning is dangerous (if the jar is sealed, it's fine), but I'd like to my canning work to keep as long as possible.



So all those dill pickles I gloated about in February?  Four jars unsealed (found one previous to this photo) and the contents composted.  I'm going to take care that doesn't happen again.

I'm gearing up for summer preserving by stocking up on lids, taking inventory of what is left in the canning cupboard, and setting loose goals for what I want to can.  Bring it on!  Are you ready?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have only done steam canning, with great success. I have jars up to 3 years old, with no problems. I only do acid type foods- pickles, jams, jellies, fruit sauces....

Rebecca said...

I've got 16 pts. of peas in the freezer with a goal of 24. Each side of our household gets a pt./month to add color to a brown winter casserole. The only reason for frozen peas, far as I'm concerned. I'm going to check my currants today. Might be able to make jelly!

jenny_o said...

That is a shame about your pickles unsealing - all that work!

Unknown said...

Hi Margaret, it's Janelle. Sorry; this has nothing to do with pickles or canning ... but I had to pass along this divine looking sweet-cherry-using recipe!
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/06/cherry-almond-dutch-baby/#more-12036

momma-lana said...

I have done 8 pints of black beans and 6 of blueberry preserves this week. Tomorrow is strawberry preserves. I feel like the water bath canner is so little effort compared to the pressure canner that I might as well be sure that everything keeps well. I am sorry you are having this problem though. It is disheartening to do so much work to throw it out.

Waaaaay back when I was a child my Mom sealed jams and jellies with paraffin. She used all sorts of little jars. Her plum jam was the best.

Polly said...

Could I attend Camp Margo and learn all this stuff? The only thing I've ever canned are jellies and homemade grape juice. Oh, and a really nice chutney I made years ago.

I want to learn to do pickles, peaches and a variety of tomato-products. At least.

I have, however, been harvesting lots of green beans...I freeze 'em! And I made pesto w/ my basil and froze that, too!