Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fresh Corn Salad



These photos are from last week, and the corn is really over.  I apologize in advance for talking about summer food when actually, what I did in my kitchen today was bake a pumpkin pie.  We're having that for dessert tonight after black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread.  I do not enjoy uploading photos, so sometimes things are just out of sync here on the blog.  Don't worry:  I'm going to upload a whole batch of interesting project photos I did recently, so I'll churn out those posts in the next few days.



So I discovered a wonderful corn salad, right at the end of summer.  It's raw corn, simply cut off the cob, marinated in a simple vinaigrette, with goodies added.  It's great, and I love skipping the blanching step with the corn.

 
I found the recipe when I was looking for a dish to take to a potluck.  Then, I made it again because we liked it so much - we had it at home with sauteed mushrooms, vegetarian crab (zucchini) cakes and wacky cake with caramel sauce. 



I had made the caramel sauce with half-and-half, so it wasn't as tempting as the version made with heavy cream.  But spooned warm over chocolate cake?  Well, that was amazing.  My husband had seconds and he does not have a sweet tooth.

 
Fresh Corn & Tomato Salad
(originally from Fix-it and Forget-it Potluck Heaven, but I made a number of changes)
 
1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper
pinch sugar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 ears corn, cut off cob
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1/3 cup cubed mild cheese or avocado
2 scallions, thinly sliced
about 1 cup fresh basil leaves, snipped
 
1.  Stir together vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar in salad bowl.  Slowly add the olive oil, whisking continuously, until dressing thickens (emulsifies).
2.  Stir in corn.  This part may sit, even overnight in the fridge, if needed.  Otherwise, add the rest of the ingredients and serve immediately at room temperature.  (At the potluck, I added the basil at the last minute.)

2 comments:

jodi said...

I love corn! Like really love it, but sadly, my little family doesn't share my love so I'm always left with uneaten cobs. Next time we have lots of corn around, I'll try this salad!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Love the recipe.. [doesn't matter what season, you post. I enjoy anyways,ha]
Your daughter is adorable..Cute shirt.
And the chocolate cake with carmel sauce..oh yummy... I have been dieting and I am soooooo ready for some cake,ha