Thursday, July 15, 2010

Raw Beets

Don't gross out!  I'm not talking about some strange cleansing diet or vegan delight.  Think, instead, of making  a salad with raw grated carrots. As my husband said recently to a visiting friend, it's not the Harvard beets of our childhood, in their cornstarchy sweet sauce.  And did you know, just like carrots or potatoes, peeling beets is optional?
The other evening we ate beet salad with grilled eggplant obsession and toasted bread and cheese.  As for the eggplant obsession, who cares about the eggplant:  I was eating the tahini sauce straight and brainstorming what else I could put it on.


Raw Beet Salad (from my friend Rebecca, from the Farmer John Cookbook)

Make the dressing by shaking together in a lidded jar:
1/2 c. olive oil
3 Tbs. vinegar (white wine or something mild)
1 tsp. Dijon or brown mustard
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
salt, pepper

Pour over 4 medium beets, coarsely grated.  Marinate for at least an hour.

I would not attempt to make this salad if I didn't have fresh dill; luckily, I got some volunteers in my flowerbed this year (and apparently every year hereafter, people tell me).

Updated Jan. 2011:  I made this salad using dill pickles and some stray capers.  It was good, but not as great as fresh dill.  Still, a nice change from all the cooked roots around here.

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I think your friend Rebecca is a treasure trove of recipes! As for beets, quite honestly, I don't know if I've ever eaten one, raw or cooked. What do they taste like?

Laura said...

That sounds tasty! I'll have to try it next week!

I like to make a chopped raw veg salad with fresh beets, fresh broccoli, and fresh cauliflower. I just chop up everything, then toss with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It's so delicious!

I also like to roast beets with other vegetables (zucchini, onions, sweet potatoes, turnips, whatever!) in the oven. I cut all the vegetables into chunks, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper, and put in a 375 to 400 oven for about 30 minutes. The whole family loves it.

Margo said...

Laura, your recipes are exactly my style! I love cold roasted beets with feta and grapefruit, lightly dressed with oil and vinegar.

Christian, beets are uniquely themselves. I would try them first roasted or raw like Laura and I suggest. I'm planning to pickle some soon, which is an Amish favorite: my kids fight over them.