Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Marilou's Favorite Oatmeal Cookies



Last year, Ron, one of my pastors, made us some oatmeal cookies. They were amazing and I immediately asked for the recipe. He told me they are his wife Marilou's favorite cookies and he doesn't junk them up (put nuts or raisins in them).

I made them a few times before I realized what the difference is that I like so much: the flavorings are only salt and vanilla, no spices. I do like cinnamon and such, but oatmeal cookies without it taste buttery and nutty. Try making your favorite oatmeal cookie without the cinnamon - just add salt and some vanilla. Unlike Ron, I do regularly "junk them up" with raisins and nuts.



Most recently, I took a batch with walnuts in them to Easter dinner to go with a big fresh fruit salad. Now the rest are in my cookie jar. Between children's snacks and my husband, they'll be gone soon.

UPDATED with recipe

Marilou's Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
Cream together:
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
scant 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs

Mix in:
3 generous cups quick oats

Mix in:
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix in:
1 c. WW pastry flour
1/2 c. white flour (or use all white flour here)
3/4 c. junk, like raisins and/or nuts

Make small balls on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 11 minutes.

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

A good oatmeal cookie recipe continues to elude me... I like them soft and chewy yet I can't seem to find that perfect recipe.

Margo said...

If you like chewy, the Anzac Biscuits are chewy http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2010/03/filling-cookie-jar-anzac-biscuits.html.

These oatmeal cookies are soft and it's because of two things: using part shortening, part butter, and also being careful not to overbake. Truly, if you want, I will post the recipe!

Rachel said...

ooh, post it! always in the market for new cookie recipes :)