Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Great New Variation of Baked Oatmeal

I told you about regular Baked Oatmeal a while ago , but news flash! here's a great variation, thanks to my friend Peter:

Substitute half of rolled oats with steel cut oats and increase the liquid by 1.5 (so in my original recipe, I use 1.5 c. steel cut oats, 1.5 c. rolled oats and 1.5 c. milk). This version MUST soak overnight, as in the night kitchen method.

Nutty texture - really delicious! We ate applesauce on top.

I had an annoyingly stray bag of steel cut oats in my freezer; sometimes, I just buy random bulk items and then hope I find a way to use them. In this case, it turned out well, but usually I have some weird bag, usually unlabeled, at the bottom of my freezer. Now that we have a compost pile, I should just compost that stuff.

Since I was too hungry and sleepy to take a picture of the steel cut oats baked oatmeal version, I'll just submit to you our compost pile for your viewing pleasure.



4 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I have TWO bags of steel cut oats waiting to be used. Thanks for the tip.

GoodGrounds said...

Hey! That's some beautiful compost.

Rebecca said...

Oh, whoops. I signed in under the church Google Documents name. Fantastic. It's really me, Rebecca

Rachel said...

mmm i totally agree. Steel cut oats--yummy.