Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dark Days Week 15: Sausage, Potato Salad, and Cherry Cobbler

We eat fairly locally to begin with, but this week I altered Aunt Linda's (Perfect) Potato Salad to be local. Well, except for those dratted onions that I complained about last week. But you must understand: while I consider recipes for ideas, Aunt Linda's Potato Salad is perfect and I don't alter it.



Aunt Linda's Potato Salad

Boil in their jackets:
1.5 lb. potatoes

Cool slightly (they should still be steaming when you gingerly cut them), cube, and gently mix with:
1 medium onion grated (I whap it in my food processor)
1/4 c. salad oil
1 1/2 Tbs. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper

Chill.
Before serving, mix together and then gently fold into the potatoes:
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 c. diced celery
1 Tbs. sweet pickle relish
1 hard cooked egg, chopped
2 Tbs. chopped parsley

The potato salad can be made ahead and keeps very well for several days. It is the best potato salad I have ever eaten, even if I feel disloyal to my mother for saying that. And it doesn't even have bacon!

To make it local this evening, I substituted chopped SOLE watercress for the parsley. Also of note: I used my homemade mayo and homemade pickle relish and the last of the SOLE celery. My potatoes were sadly wrinkled and sprouting, but under all the yummy stuff, no one noticed.



I got sausage from my favorite local Amish butcher. We ate it with local horseradish. Along with the sausage, I baked cherry cobbler (local cherries, milk, whole wheat pastry flour and non-local stuff like sugar and baking powder and the recipe is Quick Fruit Cobbler from More with Less).

4 comments:

Beth said...

Alright. I'm drooling. This all sounds Fab-u-lous!! I'll be printing out the potato salad recipe, for sure. I'd never thought of eating sausage with horseradish, but sounds yummy.

Melanie said...

Hello! I'm new here, courtesy of my cousin, who forwarded your blog link to us. The "Aunt Linda" of your perfect potato salad is my mom! She was tickled to see her recipe on your blog :-)

To be very honest, there have been times when I've been impatient and just eaten the pre-chilled version, which is also fantastic!

I've enjoyed perusing a bit this morning, and I'm sure I'll be back!

Margo said...

Melanie, oh my word! I'm so pleased that you stopped by and I'm so pleased that your mom knows the recipe is up here. I adore this potato salad and I always call it "Aunt Linda's Potato Salad." So I'm pleased to have a direct word from the daughter of the real Aunt Linda!
And thanks for the eating-it-warm tip.

Anonymous said...

Nice, thanks alot!!